13 April 2016

A life full of surprises...

My name is Anne and I’m 89 years old.

I was born in Nantes, in 1927. I grew up in a strict family. My mother was a French teacher. Her main concern was to make me ready for my future husband. She never stopped teaching me things; she wanted me to take an interest in everything. And it worked! Even today I am interested as much in football as in the current political events.

I did not often see my father. He was a doctor, and when he was at home, he did not speak to us. I say us, because I had a younger brother, Alain. He died at the age of six of pneumonia. I didn’t know what pneumonia was; I thought it was a sort of evil which kept my brother from me. This tragedy reinforced our Catholic faith. My mother often told me to pray for Alain and I thought that he did indeed listen to me. I do now. I am still religious.

My childhood was also marked by the Second World War. Nantes was bombed twice: on September 16th and September 23rd 1943. I was 16 years old. I remember that on my way to school I heard the sirens. We had learnt what this meant: bombing. We all had to run home. I remember the nice little bridge which I had to cross to get to school. Going quickly over this bridge gave me the sensation of flying above the Loire for a few seconds. But my bridge was totally destroyed. I said to myself that the adults were very stupid, and that the world was becoming totally mad. Don’t you think I’m right, now, with all that is happening today? Certainly, I saw it through my teenager’s eyes, but I’m proud to say to my grandchildren: yes, I was there during the War...

At the age of 20, I left for Paris to continue my studies. I wanted to become a French teacher, like my mother. I didn’t know Paris and I didn’t know anybody there. I was like a foreigner, but it was very exciting. I made plenty of friends. I met great people, but I have forgotten their names now…

And then, I met Albert, with whom I fell in love. It was real love at first sight! He was from Brioude, a town not far from Clermont-Ferrand. I didn’t know then that I would settle down with him in Brioude. I loved Albert for all his qualities and despite his flaws. We got married, and had four boys: Albert (he wanted one of his sons to bear his name), Alain, like my brother, Georges and Yvon.

Life was not always easy. Albert was a Latin teacher working part-time. We raised our children in our big house. I didn’t go to work. We were very strict with our children and they had to work hard at school. I think my efforts paid off because now they all have successful lives. Yvon is a doctor, Georges a dentist, Alain lives in Corsica, and Albert has a large family. I am really proud of my children.

Five years ago, Albert died because of Alzheimer’s. I fought with him till the end. I read to him, took him on walks, talked to him. I cried a lot when I realized he couldn’t remember his sons’ names. This is when I knew it was time for him to go to heaven. He would join my younger brother. I have loved him until his last day.

If I could live my life again, I would not change a thing.

Article by Astrid PEZERON DUBOIS

No comments:

Post a Comment