19 April 2016

Accounting for life...

Afficher l'image d'origine
Nairobi street scene, 1930s

My name is Michael Gontier. I was born in 1930 in Nairobi, the capital of Kenya, a country in the south-west of Africa. 

We were eight boys. My father was a dark-skinned man, whereas my mother was a fair-skinned woman. My father was working out of Nairobi, in a place called Kisumu. At the age of eight, I went to school. I had nobody to help me do my homework. Though I tried hard, I found learning my lessons difficult.

When I was twelve, my father died, aged thirty three. My mother was completely alone and had to look after eight brothers on just a nanny's salary… Four of my brothers died when they were still children.

At fourteen, I had to quit school to help my mother pay the bills. I started working as an apprentice motor mechanic. At the age of seventeen, I went to work as an electrician and, a year later, as a fridge mechanic. I did that for two years.

I was spotted by a British gentleman called Mr Bauer. He was an auditor who declared that I should be working in an office, doing clerical work. I can remember that I was very surprised at his offer. I told him that I had dropped out of school and that I had virtually no education. He asked me if I could do simple maths: add, subtract and divide. This, I told him, I could do.

On 2nd January 1951, I was told to come and report to Mr Bauer’s office. I did so and I was given a desk. I did simple clerical work. In my fourth year, I became office supervisor, in charge of fourteen clerks. A year later, I was asked to head the accounts department. Mr Bauer was transferred to the UK on a promotion, and another gentleman took over. I was unhappy working with him and so, after six years, I quit the firm.

I got a job working for the Kenyan government as an Assistant Accounts Auditor. After two years, I was told that I had to take charge of the Audit Department. I audited all payment vouchers.

After two years in charge of the Audit Department, the Permanent Secretary of the Ministry told me that I should go to University. I studied for eighteen months after which I became a qualified civil servant, entitled to a pension. It felt like a dream come true!

I reported to the Kenyan Treasury. As an accountant, I ran the Exchequer and produced weekly financial statements. After two years, I was promoted to Accountant Grade One and I headed the Pension Division. I worked there for three years. I left the government six years later and joined a firm of auditors.

After a year with the firm, I was told to run the office and look after the business because the boss had to go to Europe for medical attention. I did so for three years. I was ordered to audit the Catholic University of Eastern Africa. I carried out the daily duties of the accounts department there.

Two years later, I left my job with the auditors and joined the University permanently as the Executive Officer in charge of finances. I worked there for five years.

I am now a peaceful pensioner, enjoying life in Paris with my beloved daughter and a wonderful son-in-law.

Article by Aurélie BERTHAUD

No comments:

Post a Comment