14 April 2016

A pioneer of agriculture...

M. Magne

My name is Marcel Magne and I was born in 1935 in Arches, a small village in the Cantal which is a beautiful region in the middle of France. I grew up during the 40s, with my brother Jean, surrounded by forest and fields. We were a small but dynamic farming community. My family was specialized in cow breeding.

When I was seven, my father was away fighting the Germans. He was caught and made captive. They sent him to Germany to work in their farms, as a prisoner. It was a strenuous time both mentally and physically for him, of course, but also for us at home waiting from sunrise to sunset for his return. Growing up without knowing if your father was alive was a terrible ordeal for me and the rest of my family.

In 1946, my father came home. Captivity had left its mark on him. However, he learned about their research. "They are fifteen years ahead in agriculture and breeding", he said. This was true since, in our region, progress had been slow. There are places far more advanced than we are so we decided that if we did not modernize then we would be left behind. We didn't even have running water in the house...

Progress was slow. In the 60s, the first tractor came. It was nothing compared to the ones today, of course, but it was a revolution on our family farm. We could have more fields, and by 1967, our surface had doubled.

I wanted to continue my father's work and his idea of progress. We built another stable in addition to the previous one. But we weren't rich enough to equip it totally. In fact, we had one trough for two stables. A problem? A solution. Every day we made the cows drink in the first stable, then we disassembled it and reassembled it in the second stable. Yes, it's not a job for lazy people!

During that time, I got married and we had four children: Nathalie, Marie-Pierre, Anne-Marie and Emmanuel. The last two are twins.

The next development came from my son Emmanuel, who went to an agricultural college and did an internship in a company: France Embryon. This company was new and carried out embryo sampling on cattle. That was exactly what we needed. Let me explain. In Auvergne, we have different breeds of cows, but two are interesting for meat production: the “Salers” and the “Charrolais”. We discovered by chance that a hybrid of them had a better tasting meat than the others. It had to have 50% exactly of each breed, if not, the resulting meat was not as tasty. The problem was that pure-breed Salers were rare and expensive. Moreover, a cow can only have two or three veals in its life. So here was our dilemma: either we made quality meat by having hybrids (and no pure-breed Salers for the next generation), or we bred Salers together. However, in case of the latter, the meat was far less tasty… Like I said, the solution came from embryo science: a cow can produce ten embryos from one fertilization. You can use them to inseminate another cow. And here lies the interest: whatever the breed of the inseminated cow is, the veal has the breed of its biological parents. In our situation, we could get pure-breed Salers using a hybrid cow which we had inseminated.

To work with France Embryon, my neighbours and I set up an association. It was a real success: I had both hybrids and pure-breed Salers. At the "Salon de l'Agriculture" in Paris, "Le Monde" wrote an article about me: I was among the first breeders to use this process. It was published in 1973 and by midday all the newspapers had been sold out!

I continued my work, and I got some great pedigrees: my best achievement as a breeder was a Saler that I sold in Scotland for one million Francs, and it won many contests there.

Today I'm no longer at the cutting edge of progress, but I keep running my farm with my son. I also had the great good fortune of having nine wonderful grandchildren. Last year, one of my daughters invited me to South Africa, it was amazing.

I have lived 80 years of a blessed life and I intend to enjoy it for a few more!

Article by Guillaume ANDRIEUX

No comments:

Post a Comment