22 April 2016

“He will ask us if we have used our strength to help our fellow man…”

Edmond Michelet, Minister for the Armies, 
giving a speech (1946)

Journalist’s note: I imagined this first-person narrative from my grandmother Monique's account of her father Papamond's life. The title is a quote by Saint-Jean-Marie Vianney (the "He" of the title refers to Edmond Michelet).

“I am Edmond Michelet but everybody calls me “Papamond” (i.e. “Papa Edmond”), not only my family but also the Council of Ministers!

I was born in1899. I was the eldest of four children. My parents sent me early to a Christian boarding school.

After the First World War, I arrived in Brive and worked for Catholic charities. They gave me values like wanting to help my fellow man. I have tried to apply these values throughout my life.

I met my Marie and we got married in 1922 in Brive. My first son, Jean, was born in 1923 then my first daughter, Christiane, in 1924. Geneviève came to the world in 1925. Monique, was born in 1927, Bernard in 1931, Yves in 1934 and Claude in 1938.

In 1940, I became the head of the Briviste maquis and took the name of “Duval”. For 3 years, lots of Jewish families went through our house.

But on the 25th February 1943, the Gestapo came to take me to prison. Marie was dignified as always. The children stayed inside as I did not want them see. For six months, I was in Fresnes jail. My family kept in touch by hiding little messages in the potatoes that they sent me. Once, the German jail chaplain, Abbot Stock, told me, while we were reciting the “Hail Marie”: “Hail Mary, full of grace… Your wife is well… The Lord is with thee… your kids too… Blessed art thou amongst women… They asked me to tell you they love you…”

29th april 1945: the liberation of the camp.
The journalist Claude Dauphin interviewing ( from left to right )
Edmond Michelet, Vincent Badie (a politician)
and Armand Fily (a priest)

In 1943, I was deported as a political prisoner to Dachau. I was n° 52579. I tried to help and bring solace to my fellow prisoners. After the camp’s liberation, on the 29th of April 1945, I planned, with the Americans, the repatriation of the French.

Soon after my return, I was called up by General de Gaulle to hold the post of Minister of the Army. We lived in the Départment de la Marine; in the Place de la Concorde (Paris). I did not see the family much because I had lots of international obligations. I became the French delegate to the UN from 1953 to 1957. I traveled to Indochina, Tunisia, Algeria, and Madagascar. We moved to Rue Madame in the 6th arrondissement of Paris.

In 1957, I wrote my book Contre la guerre civile (“Against the civil war”) to denounce what was happening in Algeria. In 1959, I became the first garde des sceaux (Minister of Justice) of the 5th Republic. I held the post until 1961. I worked hard with General De Gaulle to make a success of the 5th Republic. I joined the Constitutional Council in 1962. That same year, I was raised to the dignity of Commandeur de la Légion d’Honneur.

1939, on holiday in Biarritz with his seven children

I have lived a wonderful life thanks my family and my friends, to the General, to Louis Terrenoir and Charles de Foucault, and so many others…

I entitled my autobiography Rue de la Liberté (“Freedom Street”). Rue de la Liberté was the name given to the main road through Dachau…”

Article by Thibault RIVIERE

No comments:

Post a Comment